Saturday, September 17, 2011

KZG Golf - Part II - The Clubs...

I came home on Friday to a box on the doorstep... Party time...

This morning I was able to get up early and get to the course when it was only 49˚. Luckily it warmed up to 53˚ by the time I was done. I was only able to play 9, and hit about 50 balls on the range, so here are my initial impressions...



Overall, I LOVE the 3 wood, but the driver and I still have some work to do. The driver I have been using is 2 inches longer, different flex and different launch...

THE FAIRWAY WOOD: KZG PTi Extra stiff shaft 15˚ - This club is beautiful, they both are. I love the all black look and the red accents. In my bag I was missing a club to fill the gap between my driver and my 3H, after only 9 holes, I can tell this is the club I was missing. Distances are about 20-25 yards longer than my hybrid and look to be about 20-30 yards shorter than my driver. The ball flight starts out low and starts going up about 100 yards out. It is a mid level fight and for me I was getting about 230 yards on a normal swing in damp conditions. I also like that I have a hard time slicing this club which is the reason I didn't carry a 3 wood in the first place.
Negatives: I have only hit this club about 25 times and there is already signs of scuffing on the sole. This doesn't effect play, but just an observation.



Driver: KZG PTi Extra stiff shaft - Again... a beautiful looking club out of the box. At 42 inches the club feels more comfortable in my hands than the 44 1/4 Burner I was playing. After getting fully fit, I was anxiously awaiting this, but after a bucket of balls, I just can't seem to get comfortable with this club. Maybe it's because I learned some bad habits with my old club that was not a good fit to my swing, but something is still amiss. It took me about 20 balls to figure out that I need completely change my stance... Once I adjusted my ball position, things started to straighten out but I still need to hit a few more buckets to get comfortable with this thing.
Negatives: #1 is the sound... I just can't get used to it. It's louder and echoes more than I expected... it's loud... #2 The scuffing - I attached a pic, but it's pretty bad. Again, this doesn't effect playability, but I didn't expect that much from my first outing.



Headcovers/Grip/Shaft: Not the typical sock, they are a pretty neat magnetic closure that I have never seen before. I like them a lot ( need to get pics), The grips and shaft are nice, KZG grip and NovoTech shaft look great and match the club perfect. I had the option of red blue or black shaft, I chose black, I like thinks simple...

OVERALL: This has been a great experience, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The Golfers Edge in Rochester, NY and KZG were extremely helpful and professional in all of their communications and I would recommend both as excellent companies. The fairway wood is absolutely perfect and fills a much needed hole in my bag, but the driver needs some more practice time before I am fully comfortable with it.



UPDATE:  I've been able to get out on the course a few times, (twice in November, unheard of in Syracuse), and I still stand behind my love of the 3 wood.  I have been using the Golfshot app on my iPhone, and tracking my shots.  Besides the fact that I am actually hitting the fairway,  I am crushing the ball.  9 shots tracked with an average of 223 yard.  At that rate, I don't have a need for a driver, which is good because I still can't get used to the PTi Driver.  More on that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment