Friday, January 21, 2011

The day the underwear came...a story from the Classroom

 Every once in a while, as a teacher, things happen in the classroom that make you stop and think, " I really need to compile all of my stories and write a book about the things that happen in the classroom."  Well, with the two of us being teachers, you can bet there are a lot of stories! So we are going to start a series here on the blog titled "Stories from The Classroom."  Today was one of those days...

Our class was taking a spelling test this morning in typical Friday fashion. As my young learners were intently spelling Commonly Misspelled Words, I walked around, monitoring their activity. As we finished our spelling test, we transitioned and started talking about the upcoming book report project they have due and I handed out some scratch paper for them to start on their rough drafts.  I was at the front of the room when it happened.  A student got up to sharpen his pencil, several students had their hands raised to ask a question, and it was honestly a very good moment in the classroom - students on task, focused, excited about their project...I looked to the back of the room, and in the middle of the floor I spied what looked to be a winter hat or a scarf - naturally, since are in the middle of an Arctic Blast these days.  I assumed it had fallen off of Lisa's chair, which sat innocently nearby. I made the mistake of looking an instant too long, and the rest the class swiveled their attention to it.  The student who had gotten up to sharpen his pencil looked down at it. And I uttered the words..."What...IS...THAT?!?!" I instantly realized it was not an innocent pair of gloves, a scarf OR a hat. The students were intrigued. The pencil sharpening young lad leaned down to pick them up, and in his hand he raised...a pair of fifth grader sized black boxer briefs.  Which he promptly, and politely asked me, "May I throw these in the garbage, Mrs. P.?" And then, I lost it. In front of my entire class of 5th graders. Tears rolling down my face, I could simply nod. The class looked at the underwear, back at me, and then launched into an uproar.


Via: Google Images

The only thing I can think of is that they were static clinged inside someone's clothes. And they fell....onto my classroom floor. On the upside, my kids thought it was hysterical that I was laughing so hard I was crying. I guess they will all have a story to tell tonight when their families ask them what happened in school today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment